But what about Feb. 29? If we lived in a more chronologically strict society, Leap Day would be the worst birthday by far. But because it seems unfair to grant Leap Babies one birthday every four years, we acknowledge their arrivals on March 1 and move on. You’re welcome, “Leapies.”
This approach seems merciful enough, but there’s more: This 0.07 per cent of the population gets extra-special treatment where travel deals are concerned. For instance:
- At Jamaica’s luxurious Half Moon resort (pictured above), guests born on Feb. 29 who book a three-night minimum stay will receive a 29-cent (U.S.) stay for the night of Feb. 29 only in any room category, as well as a champagne dinner for two at the newly renovated Sugar Mill Restaurant. (If you're not a Leapie, the Snow.com 96-Hour Sale, which runs from Feb. 23 to 26, offers up to 25 per cent off suites and villas at Half Moon.)
- Washington, D.C.’s boutique Melrose Georgetown Hotel is offering a one-night “Forever Young” package. For $229 (U.S.), “Leapies” get deluxe accommodations and a birthday dinner for two with cake and champagne.
Let's not hold these perks against Leapies. After all, their good fortune is trickling down to the rest of us:
- The Breezes Bahamas resort is offering 30- to 50-per-cent off select "Super-Inclusive" getaways throughout 2016, so long as you book by Feb. 29. Rates start at $119 (U.S.) a person per night, with complimentary room upgrade during select periods.
- Hawaii's Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort is offering four nights for the price of three when staying through Feb. 29. This "Leap Year special" can be booked now through Feb. 14, 2016, with rates starting at $259 (U.S.) per night.
- Receive up to 50 per cent off lodging at Colorado's Vail ski resort -- including The Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort; The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort; The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Vail; and Austria Haus -- if you book between Feb. 15 and 29 and stay between Feb. 15 and April 10. The aforementioned Snow.com 96-Hour Sale, meanwhile, knocks as much as 55 per cent off stays at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Park City.
- B.C.'s Long Beach Lodge Resort is marking the occasion with a free night stay when you book a minimum three nights that include Monday, Feb. 29 and Tuesday, March 1.
- Book a stay at Utah's DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Park City between Feb. 22 and 29, and receive a $29 (U.S.) discount each night.
- The Amara Cay Resort and Pelican Cove on Islamorada in the Florida Keys are both offering visitors a fourth night free when they book three nights, plus complimentary welcome cocktails. Available for weekday stays until Feb. 29.
- And just because I have a thing for Banff's Sunshine Village: The sublime Sunshine Mountain Lodge -- which I covered back when it opened in 2011 -- is now offering a "Ski Week" package that includes five days of unlimited skiing or riding; five nights of accommodation at Banff’s only ski-in, ski-out hotel; four days of two-hour ski lessons; and a host of nightly perks. Granted, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Leap Day, but starting at $995 (based on double occupancy) it is just too good of a deal to ignore. And it's available to 100-per-cent of us!